Free Golf Tips every day of the week. Enjoy golf more by developing a better swing. Follow these proven golf tips and start enjoying golf more!

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Golf...What's in an Age?

Dear Seth,

The No B.S. Golf Newsletter

Welcome Everyone

If you wish to unsubscribe from this newsletter or change your
email address, there is a link at the bottom of this email.

=================================================

What's in an age?
It's not your aptitude, but your attitude, that determines
your altitude. I heard a golfer attempting to qualify for
the PGA say that if he doesn't qualify this year, it might
be his last chance. He's 35. Only 35!

Sometimes we are negative thinkers without even knowing it.
The questions are, when did you start playing golf, how
long have you played the game and how psychologically
mature are you?

Let me use myself as an example. I started playing golf at
age 28 after taking 15 group lessons over the previous
winter hitting plastic balls off mats in a high school gym
and only had two outside sessions at the end of the series
of lessons, hitting short irons on the high school's soccer
field.

It took me three seasons to break into the 80s, and won the
Class C Championship in that third year and other three to
break 80 when I won the Class B Championship and the next
three I was a solid championship level golfer, winning the
championship flight that 9th year, shooting in the 70s and
below. I won a few tournaments and set a couple of course
records and in 1978, I broke my left thumb followed by a
tick bite which gave me Lymes Disease and I was a sick
puppy for many years after that. Just when I was ready to
get back to golf in 1988 after 10 years of being ill, I was
diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and here we go again,
unable to play golf.

Finally in 1998, a new drug was introduced and I was back
on the course at age 68. I missed 20 of the most formative
years of my life. My first year back, I started out as a 10
handicap, dropped to a 6 by the end of that year and from
1999 on, I played the best golf of my life at ages 69-75,
when I once again had to quit due to a flare up of RA and a
severe case of anemia. But in the years between 2000 and
2005, I set 5 new course records and kept my handicap
between 2 and 3.

Talk about shooting your age. In 2002, I was rolling and
had one period in July, where I had 10 straight sub par
rounds (well under my age) and the RA kicked up again and I
had to undergo right knee replacement. The next year, chest
surgery and in 2006, the other knee was replaced. Sadly,
due to the anemia and the second knee replacement I haven't
gotten my strength back to be able to get on the course,
but I'm working at it.

But the gist of the story is that I was a late starter in
golf, missed 20 years in my prime, and still was able to
shoot below par golf from age 70-75. And I guarantee that
once I conquer the RA pains again and the anemia, I will be
back on the course and play as if nothing ever happened. I
still have one goal, to become a scratch golfer. You're
never too old at any age.

Best of luck to you.

Bill Lloyd

=================================================

I would like to thank Mr Joe DeLorenzo for taking the
Time to answer these questions for us!

Joe is available for private lessons in the Chicago area.
If you are interested, let me know.

Joe is a very good instructor and does an excellent job, so if you
Are having a problem, send it to me and he will answer your
questions.

Bit of Golf Trivia
Jack Nicklaus was known as the Golden Bear, so he had
an embroidered emblem of a golden bear placed on his
caps and shirts. What was Arnold Palmer's response
when he saw this? (answer is below)


Joe,
Your idea of using a shot clock for TV golf is not
necessary. The pros already have a penalty for slow
play, so what is wrong with that?
Tim

Hi Tim,
The penalty for slow play will penalize an entire
foursome just because one of them is slow. It does not
matter if 3 of them are fast, they cannot play any
faster than the slowest player. What are you supposed
to do, beat him up? If he is bigger than you, you
might get your butt kicked besides the penalty.
Suppose the slowest player is out of contention but he
does not like any of his playing partners. All he has
to do is to slow down on purpose so they all get
penalties, right? This is not fair to people who are
really trying to play faster. Therefore the shot clock
idea is more fair because it only penalizes one guilty
person, not the entire foursome, 3 of whom are not
guilty.
Joe


Joe,
Why is it that urban courses are so lousy compared to
suburban courses? They seem plainer and shorter and
they have worse conditions, yet I cannot seem to score
any better on them. They should obsolete these darn
things, what do you think?
Ray

Hello Ray,
I don't think urban golf courses will become obsolete,
they just won't be chosen for tournament
consideration, and since most golfers are not
tournament players, they still need an affordable
place to play without driving too far, so they will
still be eager to play these older shorter courses.
Some of these older courses were built during the days
of the hickory shaft, if you think that is easy you
should try one some time. Unless a course is
expensive, I do not complain about conditions because
I appreciate being anywhere out in the open and you
can swing away and try to score. Maybe conditions make
it harder to score, even so it is good practice at
least. Just look at it as a different type of
challenge. Would you rather be home doing housework?
You had better not hope these courses do not close,
because if they do, your home course will likely
become more crowded.
Joe


Question for the Evil Twin
Jody, my buddies and I like to make silly little bets
on trick shots. I am two down to them so I am counting
on a sly dog like you to give me two ideas on how to
get back at them.
Answer: On the putting green, bet that you can get
two balls into the hole from 20 feet with only 3
strokes. They will think you must hole one of the
putts so they will take the bet. Then you put both
balls together against the face of your putter, so a
single stroke will send both balls close to the hole,
and hopefully from there you will have two tap ins.
Next, bet that one swing with your wedge can make a
ball pop straight up in the air and you will catch it
in your hand. Then stack one ball on top of another,
since balls have dimples this is not hard to do. Then
hit the bottom ball with your swing and the top ball
will pop straight up in the air and it should be easy
to catch. OK readers, now it is your turn, have you
got any other trick shots to share with us?


Answer to the above Trivia Question: True story, I
guess the embroidery might not have been perfect -
when Arnold saw it he said Jack, why are you wearing
yellow pigs?

===================================================

"I do the very best I know how - the very best I
can; and mean to keep doing so until the end. If
the end brings me out all right, what is said
against me won't amount to anything." Abraham
Lincoln 1809-1865, Sixteenth President of the USA

.
=============================================

Do you want to improve your game?

Driver...Putter...Wedge

This DVD is packed with the most critical
information that you need to use those most
important clubs the way that they were supposed
to be used. In fact, if you were to put all of
this info into lessons, you'd be surprised t! o
k now that there's over 30 individual lessons
included in this one, single DVD.

One thing that it doesn't have is specialized
drills and detailed explanations of the
mechanics. For that, you'll have to get some of
our other DVDs. If you're ready for "just the
facts," this DVD is made for you ...

http://www.thinkandreachpar.com/3golfclubs.php

Until next time...good golfing!

Richard C Myers

http://www.thinkandreachpar.com/
http://www.golfforleftys.com/
http://www.totalgolfdvd.com/
http://www.ourdreamrv.com/

Telephone 864.675.0038
New South Media, LLC
45 Doverdale Rd.
Greenville SC 29615
United States

New South Media LLC

45 Doverdale
Greenville, SC
29615
US


If you no longer wish to receive communication from us:
http://autocontactor.com/app/r.asp?ID=1024875956&ARID=0&D=

To update your contact information:
http://autocontactor.com/app/r.asp?c=1&ID=1024875956&D=

No comments:

Blog Archive